I didn’t get a chance to make it out much over the weekend, but I did play Final Table’s $8K guarantee on Friday night. 94 entries and live rebuys ($40 buyin/rebuy/addon) easily made the guarantee, for a prize pool of $11,680. Unfortunately, none of it was mine, as I had a great spot to 3-bet with [qx qx] in late position and got called by [ax jx]. Then he flopped [ax jx jx] and I was drawing very sliim. I did chop the 11am $1.5K guarantee on Monday, which had a small overlay with only 22 entries. The other big games in town over the weekend were at Portland Meadows. Tuesday I dropped in at Aces Full. They’re running a noon game every day except Sunday, with shootouts on Fridays and Saturdays in the afternoon, according to Ricky. Their website got back online while I was there, they’re running a $1K guarantee at noon on Friday and Saturday. The Tuesday game was just 10 players with a $480 prize pool. I squeaked into 3rd place.
Too Old for the Main?
This year’s Main Event final table bucks the trend of a bunch of wÃ¼nderkind with an outlier or two. For the past several years, there haven’t been more than two final tablists over 32, this year, only two players are under 30, and 51-year-old Cliff Josephy leads the pack. This week, I revisited a PokerNews article I did last year. With charts!
According to reports on the NW Poker Facebook group, Roger Tracey died in a car accident Monday. Roger dealt at several clubs over the past several years, and worked at Spirit Mountain and Chinook Winds casinos before that. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.
Deal of the Week: Black Diamond Hot August Poker Classic
I don’t generally get a chance to try out the samplings of poker down the valley, but I’m hoping to get the chance to play some of this series at the Black Diamond in Albany.
The room is just off the freeway on the north side of town, about 70 miles from Portland. There’s a 6-Max tournament on the 18th, a Bounty tournament on the next night, Tag Team and Big O tournaments on Saturday the 20th, and a 60K starting stack $250 buyin on Sunday. That all sounds good to me.
The 6-Max has a 42-person cap, which leads me to believe that there may only be 7 tables in the room, so seating may be limited. The announcement has a phone number you can call for particulars.
There are no guarantees, but if the $250 buyin Sunday game got 4 tables, it would have a $9K in the pot. With 4 or five payouts for 36 players, that’s still some significant money. See my “Sweet Spot” article.
Might be a good excuse to visit my family in town.
This Week In Portland Poker
- This week’s big event is the First Friday $20K guarantee at Final Table. According to their web site, it’s a $60 buyin with 2 live rebuys and a $40 addon. It also says “More Details to Follow,” but I haven’t seen anything as of press time. An email that went out Tuesday afternoon indicates that they plan to run a $10K guarantee with the same buyin as the $20K on Friday nights.
Follow @pokermutant on Twitter to get updates on late-breaking specials.
Only a Day Away
- At Thunder Valley’s Ante Up Poker Tour World Championship, the $250K Monolith drew 767 players for a $285K prize pool. Coming up this weekend is the Head to Head Championship, and the $500K guarantee Ante Up World Championship (entry Friday and Saturday, $1,650 buyin).
- WPT Legends of Poker at LA’s Bicycle Casino has entry flights to a $240 buyin $500K guarantee from Friday through Tuesday.
- The Summer SuperStack at Calgary’s Deerfoot Inn kicks off on 10 August. The first event is a C$550 buyin with three starting days.
- 10 August is also the start of the Venetian August Weekend Extravaganza. The big event is a three entry day $80K for $250. They are partnering with the Bicycle Casino to award seats to the Mega Millions event running during the Legends of Poker.
- The Arizona State Poker Championship runs 12—16 August at Talking Stick Resort outside Phoenix. Entry days Friday through Sunday, both limited to 470 entirs and 130 alternates, with the final day Tuesday the 16th. $1.1K buyin.
- The Chumash Summer Poker Series runs from 15—21 August, at the Chumash Casino Resort about 125 miles northwest of Los Angeles. Most of their events are too small to make the trip worthwhile, but they are featuring a $325 buyin $100K guarantee on 20 August. And if you get there a few days early there’s a $40 Big O tournament.