My Time Is Coming
The last couple of weeks have been pretty light on poker for me since I headed to Moolack Beach just north of Newport with my wife and friends two weekends ago, Got a great AirBnB on a bluff above the beach with a bank of windows and a deck. The dark patch on the beach in the picture above is a hundred yards or so of crabs and kelp that washed up Friday night; the seagulls were having a field day.
So I missed my usual $10K GTD at Final Table that weekend, but I managed to bust out of a couple of Ignition Casino Thousandaire makers—continuing a non-cashing streak that is now the longest since I started playing them three-and-a-half years ago. It’s starting to make inroads into my profit.
I had been planning to head up to the $100K GTD at Muckleshoot Casino on Saturday, but with my poker travel partner out of commission I decided to spend my money at home, playing the $10K at Final Table on Friday night, then heading to Portland Meadows for the debut of their new $145 buyin freezeout structure $10K GTD on Saturday. Didn’t get close to the money in either one.
I toyed with the idea of heading to Claudia’s for the Monday PLO8 (since that went so well the last time I played it) but since I’m expecting to be at The Game Tuesday for some PLO (writing this Monday night), I just played a small Ignition $500 GTD O8 game and took 3rd of 63 for a little cash. Not enough to make me ready to head up to the Muckleshoot Main Event this weekend (I’m kind of sitting on my money for the Fall Poker Classic at Chinook Winds next month), but I’ve got a piece of a friend for it, at least.
A late but new entry on the leaderboard is Jeff Baxter from Oakland (north of Roseburg). He took 3rd in a 199-entry HPT Vicksburg Main Event back in August, but his entry only showed up on The Hendon Mob in the past couple of weeks (perhaps because it had gotten mixed up with another player under the same name). It’s his only recorded tournament score.
As mentioned in previous Planners, Ali Imsirovic doubled his already substantial earnings in two days by winning back-to-back tournaments at the Aria.PokerGO Poker Masters. Also not slacking off is Seth Davies who placed 3rd in the $50K buyin that was the second event Imsirovic won. Imsirovic jumps from 23rd on the leaderboard to 13th, while Davies moves from 12th to 10th.
Calvin Lee is still working the circuit in Korea, at the Japan High Roller Festival, where he took 2nd in the KRW 10M NLHE Special High Roller.
Max Young continues to crush US circuits with three final tables at WSOPC Thunder Valley, holding on for 9th in Event #3 $30K GTD NLHE, then placing 5th in both Event #10 NLHE 6-Max Turbo and Event #13 NLHE High Roller.
Only a Day Away
- At the Muckleshoot Fall Classic there’s a satellite tonight (Wednesday) for $1,750 in buyins (7pm, 190 entry). Thursday is a $200 entry for the only non-hold’em event: $15K GTD O8. Friday is another $400 buyin $100K GTD. Saturday is Day 1 for the $750 buyin $150K GTD Main Event. The last event on Sunday is a $40K GTD NLHE Shootout.
- The Gardens Poker Classic runs through Sunday. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, there are a total of six entry flights ($350 entry) for their $300K GTD Main Event.
- The WSOPC Online got going Tuesday. There’s a $100K GTD $350 buyin on Sunday. You can check in on the results from earlier events at WSOP.com. Sunday is the $525 Main Event with $200K GTD. $215 $25K GTD PLO 6-Max on Friday. How else can you win a Circuit Ring for less than you might spend on a First Friday at Final Table? Plus airfare to Vegas or New Jersey, of course.
- The Wynn Fall Classic runs through 14 October and features a $500K GTD Main Event, plus two $250K GTD and two $150K GTD side events, along with a Survivor, PLO, and Seniors event.
- Deepstacks Poker Tour Edmonton is at Casino Yellowhead Friday, with the C$1,100 buyin Main Event (now with BB ante) getting under way next Thursday. Other events include a bounty, 8-Max, Seniors, and Ladies tournaments. The Main Event is about US$850.
- Lucky Chances Casino near San Francisco has their monthly $350 buyin $20K-to-first guarantee tournament Sunay at 9:30am. It’s kind of a turbo structure with 20-minute rounds for the first two hours.
- There’s a Last Sunday of the Month tournament at Tulalip Casino at 11am. $25K GTD with a $100 bounty. $340 buyin including dealer appreciation. Big blind antes!
- Bicycle Casino‘s Big Poker Oktober is back on 1 October, opening with a Quantum $400K GTD tournament ($245 and $365 entry flights, with 10% and 15% getting to Day 2, respectively). They have another $400K GTD ($1,100 buyin) in conjunction with the CardPlayer Poker Tour mid-month.
- Canterbury Park Casino‘s Fall Poker Classic has more than 20 events from 5–21 October outside Minneapolis. Lots of tournaments including PLO, 6-Max, HORSE, Crazy Pineapple, and the $1,100 buyin Main Event. Should you be silly enough to blow off the first weekend of the Fall Coast Classic at Chinook Winds, you can get there for the Main and have a place to stay for about $500.
- WPTDeepstacks San Diego runs 5–15 October at Oceans 11 Casino in Oceanside, and has a $200K GTD Main Event starting 11 October.
- 5 October is the starting day for WSOPC Chicago (actually northwest Indiana), featuring a $1M GTD Main Event overlapping the first weekend of the Chinook Winds series.
- Stones Gambling Hall (outside Sacramento) brings back its own Fall Classic with a total of $250K GTD between 12–21 October. They open with a Win the Button tournament (that’d be killer with big blind antes). The Main Event (starting 18 October) is $500 for entry and $150K GTD.