I’m Ready for My Close-Up, Mr Effel
So far as I can tell, this is my only appearance in the WSOP Main Event coverage, some B-roll from Day 4 that was used near the end of the first segment of Day 5, caught in the background at the media desk for about a second as the camera pans to follow some guys wheeling tables out of the room. That said, despite not even ever really being interested in sports, I think I’m the first person in my family to make it onto ESPN.
The Death Star of Oregon Poker
Chris Vetter uses the phrase to refer to the late Encore Club in both a video he posted to Facebook of the empty space on NW 16th & Glisan, and in an interview he gave to Brian Pempus on CardPlayer.com about the current situation for poker in Portland.
The State of Portland Poker
Not a lot of time for poker on my end this week after bricking the Main Event at Chinook Winds last week. A non-poker trip to Astoria; had to skip the home game because of work; cashed in a couple of online Omaha tournaments and broke even in micro-stakes cash games. Looking forward to playing some live again soon.
Jake Dahl Knows a Guy
Speaking of online, pro Jake Dahl says he has a connection that can get 13% rakeback for players switching from Bovada to Ignition, as Bovada closes up shop to poker at the end of the month. So if you haven’t made the switch (too late for some of us), contact him via Facebook.
Weekend Getaway: Rouge Valley Raymer
The Rogue Valley Poker Classic runs mostly on Sunday afternoons through the fall in the Medford Social Club Poker Room. It culminates in a $10,000 guarantee Main Event in early December, but on 9 October, one of the preliminary events (a $115 buyin NLHE tournament) will have 2004 WSOP Champion Greg Raymer as a guest. Raymer made a deep run in the Main Event this summer, and last year he won two HPT titles, so the competition in this small tournament may make the trip down south worth it just to whet your own skills.
This Week in Portland Poker
Wish I had more to report here. Nothing special announced as of press time.
Only a Day Away
- The Venetian Deepstack Extravaganza 3.5 comes to a close with the last flights of a $250K guarantee on today through Saturday at noon ($250 buyin). Their regular weekly schedule resumes Monday.
- Flights for the $3M guarantee SoCal Poker Championships continue through Sunday at the Gardens Poker Classic in Los Angeles. This is the first leg of the SCPC, and you get bonus cash and points for playing the earlier flights. The Gardens series itself continues through the end of September.
- The Main Event of the WPTDeepstacks at Casino del Sol in Tucson has starting flights Friday and Saturday.
- At the Stones Gambling Hall $250,000 Fall Classic, the big events this weekend are a $500 buyin $75K guarantee on Saturday, and a $350 buyin $40K guarantee on Sunday.
- Nextr Wednesday is the start of the Wynn Fall Classic, followed a day later by another HPT at the Peppermill Casino, then the Deepstacks Poker Tour pulls into Edmonton Alberta for ten days. Saturday, 1 October, the Bicycle Casino hosts the more of the SoCal Poker Championship, as part of the CardPlayer Poker Tour Big Poker Oktober.